The Beauty of Ghana


I have been so inspired by the beauty of Ghana as I have been here. Today we had a screening just outside of Tamale. We screened about 120 people. It was one of the larger screening turn out that I have seen with Friends Eye Clinic. It was awesome. I still have this sore throat. But it seems better in the morning. I sleep most of the times on the way to the screening. School got out just as we finished our outreach and the kids swarmed us. It was a really interesting experience. They are all so happy

After screening we went to went back to Tamale and grabbed our stuff be for heading to Mole National Park. The drive was about 2.5 hours from Tamale. But it was so worth it. We tried to make the evening safari but we were too late due to outreach. So when we arrived we just relaxed at the restaurant. There was a lookout over a huge watering hole which was absolutely amazing. Mole National park is stunningly beautiful with trees stretching in a green sea to the horizon.

Around dinner our driver went to visit friend in the nearby village. Natalie and I ordered pizza and coke, one of the drinks that I have developed an addiction to here in Ghana. My fever was really bad as the night got later the worse the fever got. I had one of the worst sleeps I have had in my entire life. But I woke up ready for our morning safari. And the morning safari did not disappoint.

Mole National Park was established by the first president to preserve the natural resources of Ghana. It became a national park in the 1970’s. It is the only elephant reserve without poaching and hunting because of this the elephants are peaceful so it’s safe to walk near them. They don’t see humans as a threat. We definitely took advantage of this.

One of my favorite memories is walking back to the car with a large bull elephant walking beside us. It was awe-inspiring. I felt like I was being allowed to be there, it’s like I was invited into someone’s home but I wasn’t allowed to touch anything. I was just permitted to be there. There is just so much power and intelligence in the elephant. I feel so privilege to have seen one.

After safari my fever caught up to me and I slept on and off the whole way back to Tamale.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Day in the Life

MCAT: What Books Should I buy?